Thursday, January 16, 2014

Confidence

When I saw this book posting on someones post I didn't think twice about buying it. Of course, that was over a month ago. This morning I had time to actually open it on my Ipad and start reading it. It's really funny how God works things out because just yesterday I was starting to realize I have a lot to offer. I'm blessed at my job and I know I have lots to offer to our church. I just lack one important thing. CONFIDENCE!!! I'm afraid. Plain and simple. I was writing in my journal this morning about being more confident and it's not surprising that the first chapter in this book about leadership qualities is about none other than "Confidence." As I go through this book "The Jesus-Hearted Woman" I'll blog about whats stuck out to me in each chapter. So here are some excerpts that I've taken from Chapter 1: Confidence and a side note of how it applies or how I would like it to apply to my life.


God uses reluctant leaders (I am a very reluctant person because I fear of what people think and of how I won't be able to do it right)

Insecurity is not humility. It’s me focused and is more concerned with self-protection than risking rejection or pain for the benefit of others. (This really says alot about myself)

A person with gracious confidence:

·         Is comfortable in her own skin and doesn’t try to mimic they styles or gifts of others; she doesn’t yearn for someone else’s shoes. (False: I'm not comfortable in my own skin and I'm very critical of what I do and how I do it)

·         Can lead and follow at the same time (True)

·         Isn’t afraid of the spotlight but doesn’t see it either; she is quick to shine it on others when she has a chance (I'm terrified of the spotlight because I fear of what people think of me)

·         Presents her thoughts and ideas without having to have the last word (True)

·         Accepts both praise and criticism without setting her heart too completely on either (True)

·         Is satisfied to give her best for the benefit of others and has a quick word of encouragement when she sees someone else doing the same (True: When I'm not afraid to say my thoughts or give my opinions)

·         Realizes that she will likely still have butterflies before she steps behind a podium, may still feel intimidated around certain leaders and may second-guess decisions, but doesn’t let those feelings affect her actions and reactions. (When I had to speak on Chick Night, I was going over and over what I would say and I didn't say half of what I thought in my head weeks, days, hours, minutes or seconds before I went on stage. I was praying no one would notice how scared I was or how stupid I sounded to myself)

·         Rests easy after she’s done her best (even if it’s not perfect) knowing that outcomes are up to God and the free-will responses of others. (False: I will analyze everything and how I would've done it differently)

·         Knows she will have “off days, “so cuts herself some slack she would cut others. (Never)

·         Laughs at herself and learns from her mistakes. (Never do this. I'm very hard on myself)

Matthew 5:14-16 says “we are the light of the world and to “let our lights so shine before others that they would see our good works and glorify the Father in heaven.” It means we’re  willing to actually “shine” (instead of shrink back) “before others” (not just privately to God) and let them “see our good works”-the things that we can do well, and do for the sake of others, in order to bring glory to God.

“Every experience God gives us, every person He puts into our life, is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see.” (I've really thought about this alot since I read it. I can make a mental picture of the people God has placed in my life and how it's preparing me to step out and be courageous. It's taken me a long time but this book opened my eyes to what I need to do)

We should pay close attention to the passions God is stirring in our hearts. (I have a lot of passions in my life. I love to plan, organize, to train, to encourage, to bring life into people and allow them to see their potential (not sure why it's hard to see mine) and to see students have fun and love Jesus)

It’s not where you start, but where you’re willing to go, that matters. (I seriously have a problem because I'm willing to go. I really am. I'm just terrified of that first step)
 

No comments: